To be an Altar Server is an honor and a privilege. As the late Pope St. John Paul II stated, “Your commitment to the altar is not only a duty, but a great honor, (and) a genuine holy service.” The purpose of this ministry is serving at the Table of the Lord, assisting the priest and deacon in the celebration of the Eucharist, as well as other sacraments or liturgical celebrations.
The Ministry of Altar Servers is open to both boys and girls who meet all of the following requirements:
- They have received the sacraments of Baptism and First Holy Communion in the Roman Catholic Church.
- They have a strong desire to serve at the Altar of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
- They are in 4th grade or above.
- They are enrolled in the Religious Ed program or attend Catholic School.
- They attend Sunday Mass on a regular basis, know the prayers of the Mass, know how to properly genuflect, and how to make the sign of the cross.
- The fully understand the importance of ministry and are committed to it.
- They attend all training sessions as well as agree to attend mandatory meetings and trainings held throughout the year.